The Best Kayak Carts
In this Guide
Kayaking is one of the most popular outdoor activities which allow you to experience nature up close and feel the water and wilderness at the same time. Whether you go on a week-long vacation or set off on a weekend get-away, if kayaking is there on your list, your trip becomes a sure adventure. It offers to be a great bonding exercise when done together with family or friends, and exhilarating experience when done alone. And if you are an avid kayaker, then you are already cooler than the rest (I couldn’t resist it).
Kayaking is all fun and adventure, but to transport it from your garage to the kayaking site can be a hassle since most of the kayaks are a bit heavy to carry. To solve this problem, kayak carts are your go-to buddies. These specialized carts allow you to move your kayak easily while making them almost weightless to transport. Your kayak may have gear in its compartment, with a kayak cart, it becomes conveniently mobile on land too.
Features to Look at While Buying a Kayak Cart
To buy the right kind of kayak cart is a decision as important as buying a kayak itself. The cart should offer great performance when transporting the kayak, and should also be an equally great deal for the money you spend. And to make this decision easier for you, we have carefully curated a list of carts that uphold the kayak perfectly and grip it firmly, and cater to your specific needs.
There are three variants of kayak carts out in the market
These are the simplest kind with attached wheels, and always ready on the go with their traditional features.
As the name implies these are the carts with the added feature of foldability and compactness. It can be quickly folded in a matter of seconds and offer more comfort as compared to the plug-in carts.
These carts are usually high end with sturdy straps to protect the kayak from all kinds of sliding motion. However, add-on straps can be purchased for other models too.
The sole purpose of the cart is to effectively and efficiently transport your kayak from one place to another, and it is obvious that it can’t be done without quality wheels. Therefore the tires are the most important feature of a kayak cart. Always look out for airless and puncture-proof tires that run smoothly over all terrains. Else your cart may need your support to move.
The second most important aspect of a kayak cart is its frame. It should be strong and sturdy yet lightweight, so it can handle your kayak and also be easy on carrying once folded. Durability and non-corrosiveness are the next two features you should judge your kayak cart’s frame upon. The preferred material for your cart is aluminum and stainless steel. Added coatings over them would cost a bit more but are worth it.
This a feature that makes your cart a bliss product. Your kayak may not always fit your kayak due to one reason or another. However, when there is an adjustable width managing system, your cart will offer a maximum grip with closed precision. Normally the width adjustment is done manually through snap buttons which serves the purpose well.
Top 6 Kayak Carts 2020
We will now go over our top picks. All of them are the market’s best but are specific and suitable to different needs. Check them out below:
1. Malone Clipper Deluxe Universal Kayak Cart
|Universal frame||Straps attached may prove to be a bit short|
|Lightweight||Kayaks need to be hauled cautiously|
|Large load capacity|
Malone Clipper Deluxe is popular for being a universal cart for all kinds of kayaks. Loved and used by many avid kayakers, it justifies its fame through its multifaceted features. In addition to its usability as a kayak cart, it can also be used to transport canoes or generally haul any stuff that fits into it.
It has a dynamic design embedded with the foldable feature. This makes it easy to use and easy to store. When folded it becomes even more compact, taking minimal space, and you can easily keep it in your trunk at a corner.
This kayak cart comes with 10-inches tires which are solid and airless. They never get punctured and are made to last. This particular feature allows you to move your kayak over any kind of terrain without the fear of damaging the cartwheels. These tires are retractable and changeable as well – maximizing the cart’s usage capability and allowing it to be stored conveniently.
There is extra padding added on this cart over the handling frame which makes sure your kayak or your canoe remains safe and well protected from any stains or scratches. The framework of this cart is also rust-proof, increasing its longevity.
Features at a Glance:
- Loading Capacity of 200 lbs
- Contemporary Design
- Rustproof Build
- Universal Usability
- Easy to store, and Compact
- Contains extra padding for added protection of the Kayak
- Firm Mobility
- Lock stand available
- Straps available to bind and maintain kayak in place
- Lifetime Working Tyres (never get punctured)
- Replaceable Tyres
- It has a Universal frame which fits all kinds of kayaks
- Its lightweight frame makes it easier for you to move your kayak around.
- Its never-go-flat tires always keep you worry-free
- The large load capacity (200lbs) of this cart makes it a popular choice.
- It is made for all kinds of terrains and ensures smooth mobility
- The straps attached may prove to be a bit short for some longer models
- Kayaks need to hauled cautiously over this model
2. TMS 2 X Jon Boat Kayak Carrier Trolley Cart
|User-friendly carrying capacity||Tires give off an odor initially|
|Tie-down grip||Not a good fit for large kayaks|
|Durable for mobility|
The TMS kayak cart is a choice of many when it comes to kayaking and its terrain-based transportation. Its design is what makes it special and worth the money. This easy to stroll and purpose-built model allows you to safely and swiftly move your kayak even over patchy grounds.
With a dolly like structure, the kayak is safely placed over it and the added foam-based padding keeps it from any abrasion or general damage.
The strap for tying the kayak down with the cart ensures it remains balanced and is smoothly moved to the desired location.
The strong stainless steel and aluminum body of this cart keep it rust-free, and it bears 150 lbs as if it is nothing. Its 9.5-inch tires maximize its mobility and are replaceable in case they are worn off. This compact-sized and lightweight variant is an excellent choice for both kayaks and canoes.
Features at a Glance:
- Solid load-carrying capacity of 150 lbs
- 12 ft. Strap for tie-down grip
- Convenient Retraction
- Purpose-built for both Kayaks and Canoes
- Made of Stainless Steel and Aluminum
- Durable structure
- Include padding to keep the kayak safe
- Strong tires for perfect mobility
- Its 150lbs of carrying capacity makes it a user-friendly choice for your kayaks and canoes
- Its 12 feet long tie-down strap adds the much-needed support you’d want.
- The aluminum and steel framework makes it a lightweight and durable option
- The additional bumpers maintain the kayak strand and keep it secure
- It is a durable choice for mobility
- The tires give off an odor initially but it goes away with a single-use.
- Not the best fit for your large kayaks
3. Suspenz Smart Airless DLX Cart
|Sturdy framework||Limited loading capacity|
|Mobility in all kinds of terrains||Higher price tag|
Suspenz Smart Airless DLX Cart is one of the best variants of kayak carts in the market. Its easy-to-transport and readily mobile features make it a perfect fit to move those medium to large sized kayaks or canoes.
This kayak cart is built with aluminum and steel framework which ensures its strength and vitality. It is durable in quality and will not disappoint you at your kayaking adventures.
It has a weight carrying capacity of 150 lbs which is quite a generous limit. There are other models that offer more, but for the regular kayaks, this seems a decent feature.
This model is equipped with 10-inch airless tires that are puncture-proof and tough on all kinds of terrains. The framework also includes a double-arm kickstand ensuring greater convenience for loading, along with a strap for its stability.
The whole cart can be converted into a compact size for easy storing, taking up only a small space in the back of your vehicle. You can even disassemble it into its components and move it within an added mesh bag, and then easily rearrange it when you are at your destination.
All these features and offerings make it a go-get-it deal without a doubt.
Features at a Glance:
- Easy to assemble
- Compact to store
- Offers a weight carrying capacity of 125 lbs
- 10-inch tires (puncture-proof)
- Airless tires offer complete mobility
- Rubber padding for better kayak protection
- Added storage room
- Mesh covered bag for secure storage
- Dual-arm kickstand for convenient loading
- Its lightweight and sturdy framework offers maximum support
- It’s heavy-duty 10” wheels allow mobility in all kinds of terrains
- It offers convenient mounting and usability
- It comes with a mesh bag for easy portability
- It is a durable option with an aesthetic design
- It has a limited loading capacity
- It comes with a higher price tag than the other options
4. Malone Xpress Scupper-Style Kayak Cart
|Scupper-style framework||Difficult to haul over sand|
|Affordable||Doesn’t fit on non-stand scupper hole|
|Suitable for steep and uneven terrain|
|Adjustable width management system|
|200 lbs carrying capacity|
|Ensures the stability and safety of your kayak|
Malone Xpress Scupper Style Kayak Cart is a specialized model suitable for a variety of needs and requirements. Whether you have a small-sized kayak or a large one, it will adjust itself accordingly to offer the best fit (with added scupper holes).
The width adjustment with locking is a feature that makes it outshine amongst the rest of its market competitors. With a range of 6.5 to 16.5 inches, the width can be increased or decreased as per your evolving needs. This variability allows it to accommodate all of the kayak models available and reinforces its versatility.
This kayak cart is made of durable materials such as aluminum and stainless steel which strengthens its carrying capacity up to 200 pounds. The added rust-free feature makes it a choice that will last and not corrode for years.
It also contains 6” x 4” extra foam padding to ensure the stability and safety of your kayak, which is easy to mount as well as easy to dismantle. Not only just the padding, but the whole of the cart is very compact and easy to assemble, making it one of the most preferred kayak carts.
Features at a Glance:
- Weight Carrying Capacity of 200 lbs
- Durable and Sturdy Structure
- A Universal Model with added scupper holes
- Width adjustment locking system
- Resilient Tyres (puncture-proof)
- Rust-free framework
- Removable foam padding for your kayak
- This cart is the lightest on your pocket amongst these options
- Its scupper-style framework is what makes it stand out
- It is well suited for steep and uneven terrain
- Its adjustable width management system allows full retention
- It 200 lbs carrying capacity makes it an all-rounder
- It gives a hard time hauling the kayak over sand
- It doesn’t fit on non-stand scupper holes
5. Malone Nomad Standard Universal Kayak Cart
|Embedded kickstand||Lacks customizable width option|
|Compact cart||Low stability on sand|
|Tires are airless and puncture-proof||Cater to kayaks up to 21 inches wide|
|Firm straps for added support|
|Fits a variety of kayaks and canoes|
Malone Nomad Universal Kayak Cart is another addition to the Malone product line, which is worth mentioning here. It offers a loading capacity of 150 pounds for comfortable transportation of both kayaks and canoes. This handy model is a smart choice for many due to its manifold features.
Its structure is made of aluminum which makes it a strong and unbreakable cart for years to come. In addition to that, it is also non-corrosive which helps it to last even longer (all you need to do is to keep it clean).
This model is very compact and foldable for quick storage. With the added feature of easy assembly (and even easier dismantling), it becomes a very manageable cart for your kayaking trips.
The 10” puncture-proof airless tires give it a firm grip on the ground and allow you to take your kayak anywhere with no worry at all. And to make the storage even more convenient, they are easily removable from the mainframe when needed.
Another specialized feature of this model is its oversized padding which offers cushioned support to a range of kayaks irrespective of their width. On the same lines, its width adjustment feature allows you to lock in the sides once the kayak is on it, making it stable and safe for you to move it through the rough terrains. A strap is added to complement this feature and minimizes the chances of your kayak getting slipped.
Features at a Glance:
- Weight Loading Capacity of 150 lbs
- Aluminum Structure
- Non-corrosive body
- Solid 10” airless tires
- Straps attached for stability
- Width Adjustable
- Durable and Foldable
- Oversized Padding
- It is a lightweight cart with embedded kickstand
- Its 10” tires are airless and puncture-proof for easy transportation
- It is a very compact cart which can completely dismantle
- Its 150 lbs carrying capacity fits a variety of kayaks and canoes
- It comes with firm straps for added support and safety
- It lacks customizable width option
- It is less stable on sandy surfaces
- It can cater to the kayaks having width up to 21 inches
6. Seattle Sports Scupper Swift Sit On Top Kayak Cart
|All-rounder when it comes to mobility||Only suitable for the kayaks with scupper holes|
|Non-corrosive||Issue with unloading the kayak from the cart|
|Lots of customizable features|
|10 snap buttons|
Seattle Sports Scupper Swift Sit On Top is one of its kind kayak carts with lots of customization features. It is a flexible cart that conveniently supports all of the sit-on-top kayak models.
With a strong structure made of anodized aluminum, it supports a weight of 150 lbs and proves to be a durable accessory for your kayak. And a great deal for your money.
This model has an extendable gauge axle that can be adjusted as per your needs, and accommodate various positions of the scupper drain holes. It also has an adjustable weight system that comes with 10 snap buttons ensuring maximum kayak retention.
One of the finest of the Seattle sports, this cart features WaveChaser1 tires which are revolutionary in their performance. These tires are puncture-proof and airless, leaving you free from the worries of a flat tire or low-pressure levels, and work smoothly on all kinds of surfaces.
Another plus point of this model is its easy assembly. Compact, and foldable, it can be stored using minimal space and then be erected as required in less than a minute. And to disassemble it is even easier with just a one-step process.
Additionally, the foam cushioning offers comfortable padding for your kayak and firmly sits on the hull making it stable on the cart. The straps make your kayak even safer and prevent it from sliding.
Features at a Glance:
- Powerful cart with supporting capacity of 150 lbs
- Anodized aluminum frame
- Extendable gauge axle
- WaveChaser airless tires
- Foam padding for kayak placement
- Strong and durable structure
- Compact and foldable
- Easy to store
- This cart is an all-rounder when it comes to mobility – effective for all kinds of terrains.
- Its anodized aluminum framework makes it non-corrosive and durable
- It comes with rubber connectors which ensure greater stability
- It offers 10 snap buttons for your kayak to sit perfectly
- Its WaveChaser1 air-less tires let you take your kayaks literally anywhere
- It is only suitable for the kayaks with scupper holes
- There is an issue with unloading the kayak from the cart
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS) About Kayak Carts
What s the usual price range for quality kayak carts?
Usually, you can find a good and reliable kayak cart within the range of $90 – $130. We’d say think of it as a one-time investment as well and go for the which offers more features.
Which brand should I opt for when buying a kayak cart?
There are many online sellers which offer quality carts. However, brands such as Malone, Seattle Sports, and C-tug are some of the well-renowned sellers which don’t compromise on the quality.
What is the purpose of adjustable width and axle?
Kayak carts at times may not perfectly fit your kayak. So to make sure they properly hold, support and grip your kayak, the adjustable width and axle options work like a miracle. They keep your kayak from sliding and damaging when it is on land.
Whether you are a frequent kayaker or an occasional lake visitor who enjoys kayaking, if you have a kayak then it is very wise to have a kayak cart for it. This cart will not just allow you to transport your kayak from one place to another, but will also keep it safe and secure while doing so.
Strong frame, airless tires, and width adjustment, and gripping straps are some of the features you should keep in mind when purchasing a kayak cart. Consider all the best available options (most of them have been explained in this review), take it as a long term investment, and make a well-informed decision.